Mawkish for the Nonce

Saturday, June 16, 2007

I'm Done




I finished my film. I posted it to YouTube. I can't believe how momentous it felt to a) find out how to use Quicktime and then b) find out how to join YouTube and upload my "video" to YouTube and c) discover my computer would do it and d) do it.

Editing turned out to be really fun. You get to find non-verbal solutions to things. And iMovie has a thing called Clip View where your scenes are set out in clear boxes and you can move them around like Tonka Trucks. Other iMovie things are not easy at all and are actually perverse and hateful.

There wasn't once I made an edit that I wasn't scared I'd lost half the footage with it (I usually had) or that it would not magically appear on the Clip Board but actually disappear instead (it often had). But then I learned footage was often tucked into chunks you didn't suspect it was in and also it appeared just anywhere, not at all "on the Clip Board" as the book so sunnily predicted.

I re-imported the footage over and over because I kept losing vast chunks of it. How a technically insightful person would have laughed at me! I used up more than half of the space on the new external hard drive I bought. At this rate I'll have to buy a new hard drive for every sketch. It's worth it. That's how into making films I suddenly am. Making a good edit is unbelievably satisfying. It's like writing a whole new joke!

Yippee!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home