Mawkish for the Nonce

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Perspective? and the Cueball Look

Ben Stein made the reasonable point on TV this morning that there are a lot of things happening in the world that deserve our attention besides the Mark Foley page scandal. There's a war in the Congo, for instance. The Taliban are back in power
in Afghanistan. I forget everything he listed but yes, it was important. And it's true the Foley story has been dominating (though not exclusively) the headlines.

But come on!! Can Ben Stein have forgotten the shameless political capital the Republicans made over Clinton's stupid error with Monica Lewinsky? I'm sure there were wars and famine in that period too, but the Republicans couldn't stop harping over Clinton's moral turpitude, the blue dress, etc. They don't have a foot to stand on here. And they are going DOWN!

On another matter entirely: I'm against the cueball look. More and more men seem to be opting for shaving their heads completely rather than grapple with the discomfort of balding. The eerie thing is it erases a lot of their individualism. I find these men tend to look startlingly alike. They all seem to have thickish lips, a prominent nose and sensitive hazel eyes. Is it just this physical type who are being moved to shave their heads? Or is this physical type more prone to balding? Or is this physical type the one that catches my eye and cueball-headed men are walking by me everywhere with radically different features?

Anyway, I think it's a mistake. Having some hair is preferable to this naked, glowing-bulb look. That's a gesture that seems more comforting to the executor than its witnesses. It would be like if women, on noticing a slight midriff-thickening, decided to wear muu-muus exclusively for the rest of their days, so no embarrassing bulges can be detected. Well, nothing else can be detected either. see what I'm saying? It's like killing a mosquito with a cannonball.

On the other hand I don't know what it's like to lose my hair so maybe I should keep my critical views to myself.

7 Comments:

Blogger beckett said...

Well, I have to say, that if I started to suffer from male pattern baldness, at some point I would get out the old buzzer, too. And think of it this way: at least those of the shaven heads are not combing over or wearing rugs. The fact is, it's hard to retain your pride in your hair/scalp when your hair has betrayed you and resmbles a monk's tonsure.

I blame society.

10:24 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Some good points there, but what is a woman supposed to tousle when she's in bed with a cueball head? Even tonsure-like growths are something to run your hands through.

I'm with you on the combover though.

11:58 AM

 
Blogger vacuous said...

Another point: it takes a lot of energy to keep your head shaved, although I guess it also takes a lot of energy to keep your legs shaved, and millions of women manage to do it. Hmm. How about guys don't shave their heads, and women don't shave their legs?

8:13 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

There's a solution. Let's all be hirsute.

5:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a bizarre dent or like
a kind of "dip in the road" sort
of feature on my head. I'd probably start wearing a baseball
cap like Tim O'Brien.

11:43 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

I like the baseball hat look. Some men look better in baseball caps than out of them -- Hideki Matsui, for instance.

9:08 AM

 
Blogger beckett said...

the shadow from the cap hides all his acne scars

10:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home