Mawkish for the Nonce

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Lists





Reasons I Love to Play Guitar

Plucking the right bass note
Hearing that old time music
Singing that old time music
Getting grooves in my fingers
Needing a pick, using a pick, having a pick about my person
Playing my favorite chords in my favorite sequences
Finding cool words
Meeting other guitar players
Going to open mics in New Yawk City (you feel like a hero)




Reasons You Feel Like a Hero for Going to Open Mics in New York City

Fair and open process (good citizen)
You will give your kindness to others (benevolence)
You will dare to expose your bedroom composition efforts (courage)
No money is involved, except what you spend buying beer (thrift)
People you meet there can be unusual (richness)
None of you are watching tv while you’re at the open mic (innocence)
Famous people started at open mics (great legacy)
They are among the most humble thing you can do (humility)
Fashion does not matter (unbelievable)
Skill does not matter (grace)
Only love matters (love)
Love you give others and the love you can finally feel for yourself. (love)

6 Comments:

Blogger vacuous said...

I had no idea you were a guitar player. That's awesome.

4:51 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

I write songs sometimes too. Unfortunately I felt like it wasn't accessible to me often enough -- songwriting -- and I kind of abandoned it, though I find songs still come to me.

Playing and singing with people is more fun than almost anything.

6:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss out on both playing and singing because I am one of the most aggregiously atonal people on the planet. Does playigng board games count? Richard and I played operation last night and I thought it fell under the rubrick of more fn that almost anything.

1:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and by fn I mean fun.

1:54 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Cripes, people still play operation? How drunk do you have to be? Kidding! I know you don't (barely) drink. Hey, were you drunk when you wrote this? 'Cause you spelled egregiously, aggregiously! You musta been on something. But 'tis the season.

8:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prosecco. We shared a bottle. It was a subtle drunk. I was trying to do some kind of dumb word play -- I thought up and meant to write "aggressegiosly" or something like that -- but I blew it when I wrote it out. And now I have no idea what I was getting at. Ah, the joys of aging.

1:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home