Mawkish for the Nonce

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Time Takes a Cigarette, Puts It in Your Mouth



Today is my birthday. So far I've had a cupcake, a chocolate donut, roses from co-workers and a nice photograph of myself smiling with uncharacteristic cheerfulness that someone in the office snapped and emailed to me.

I usually don't feel happy on my birthday, but today I do. Though I woke up feeling morose, the gloom slid away. I played the new I Feel Tractor album in my apartment this morning and danced. That is one great album. Look for it in small, discerning record stores. I went down the street and bought myself a cupcake, explaining I wanted the yellow one because it was my birthday and it looked more birthday-y. An older woman nearby looked delighted for me, as if birthdays are unusual. "Your birthday -- that's wonderful!" she said. "This is a feast day." Something like that. Something surprisingly formal. "You need a candle," she added, touchingly. I said I might have one at home. The kindness of strangers in New York is surprisingly strong and bracing.

I'm excited because I've made a momentous life decision. I am going to leave my job at the end of August to pursue a career as a TV comedy writer. For once, my birthday doesn't feel like a marker in a sea of directionless drifting -- an embarrassing notch on a bedpost full of embarrassing notches -- a giant glitch in the cosmos -- an unfortunate reminder of a random and oft-cursed event -- an occasion to receive cards from parents not merely wishing luck for the coming year but seeming to plead desperately for it -- a time to take stock of a dwindling set of options and an even drearier future.

No. Ha ha! This year it comes right on the heels of my decision to seek my liberation. I actually feel I have something to celebrate. Do you know how long it's been since I've felt that way?

2 Comments:

Blogger beckett said...

Wow. How are you going to seek your comedy-writing fortune? Any leads?

I am happy for you.

8:39 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

I have little lead-ish things -- one name -- lots of tips and advice.

I took a one-night course, "How to Break Into TV Comedy Writing" and the teacher was so optimistic and encouraging that I thought, why not try this? I'll live on my "savings" which will buy me about 3 months, and then ... I will derive income from unidentified sources, but probably work similar to that which we toiled at. If that sounds vague, well, I haven't actually worked all the details out.

Thanks for your good wishes. Welcome back!

10:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home