Mawkish for the Nonce

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

And His Name Shall Be Called




I'm not happy with my blog posts lately. They're too self-pitying. They seem to ask why things are so hard for me, La Misma, when really many things are hard for many people and much harder than they are for La Misma.

So it's time to celebrate the good things ... let's see, what are they? Well, I have successfully kept houseplants for the first time in my life. Though I don't get much light in my apartment, these plucky little plants just keep on living, which is touching and life-affirming.

What else?

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm ...

The New York Times reported it was foolish to put up a lot of lousy stuff about yourself on the Web in case future employers Google you. But what if you have a compulsion? And anyway, can't we have any private life at all? Are our free, creative Web communications, which are designed to link us to other humans all awash in the human struggle, going to be reduced to press releases about our fine characters and lack of mistakes or tendency to give up on things too fast?

I'm a loser. And I want my future employers to know it.

But back to positivity. I have a lot of pots now. I used to only have two saucepans, and one didn't have a lid. The lid-less saucepan is fine for things like heating spaghetti sauce or refried beans, but it's hopeless for steaming vegetables or making rice. Well, in a domestic spree last fall I bought a set of pots and pans at Target for only $39.99 and it was so worth it! It has left me with plenty of lidded saucepans.

Yes. There's nothing like a lidded saucepan.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and there's nothing like a rice-cooker for perfect rice everytime. Of course, a 1:1 ratio of rice and water is meant to produce perfect rice. So perhaps you are overdoing it on the water.

It seems LaMisma is happiest when a la cucina?

8:29 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Noooo, I wouldn't quite say that. La Misma must have the impatience gene, as she cooks hastily and ill-temperedly, her eye only on the end product. She is usually too hungry to enjoy preparing the meal. La Misma has oral issues. She is always hungry.

Interesting you've had good experience with rice cookers. I lived in a house with one and I never got the hang of it. Invariably the rice overcooked and stuck to the bottom. A feature of my lidded pots is their lids are glass (swanky!) and you can watch the progress of the rice.

Thanks for writing, anonymous!

8:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home