Mawkish for the Nonce

Monday, June 19, 2006

Look at All the Firefolk Sitting in the Air




This image is courtesy of the Pixie Pit, a splended website offering online Scrabble and a comprehensive bevy of fairy- and pixie-related graphics and activities.

My colleagues and I play a lot of Scrabble. We're fierce competitors, in a way that online Scrabble, in particular, breeds. Without f2f contact, there's a kind of myopic ferociousness -- nobody light-heartedly defends a questionable word while the rest of the company guffaws and someone pours more wine. Online Scrabble is terse and silent, and played with so little contact that at times you log in so impatiently you barely glance at your opponent's last play or the score. All you care about is your next play.

The Pixie Pit set this amazing system up and for a year we played for free. Now it costs $10, but it's worth it in spades. The game allows me to ignore everything except the frolicsome sense of being engaged in a fierce but pointless battle. That's better than the dreary but equally pointless battle which is life without online Scrabble.

6 Comments:

Blogger beckett said...

I, for one, am drinking chapagne and guffawing right now.

3:17 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

champagne that is.

3:17 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Is it the guffaw only teens can hear?

9:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah the joys of good wholesome. . . I'd almost . . . lost all sense of. . . the champagne has. . . my head. . . I think I'm melting.

miss you, dammit to hell. alas such is the lot of the lonesome isolated alienated freelancer. LV

7:21 AM

 
Blogger vacuous said...

I have to say, I was very excited when the new edition of the Scrabble Players' Dictionary came out. "Qi" is now an acceptable word! How cool is that?

3:06 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Very cool. If it weren't for 'qi' I'd often not unload the q near the end of the game.

3:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home