Mawkish for the Nonce

Monday, July 24, 2006

I Should Be You, Sebastian Junger



Sebastian Junger came to my attention in a publicity photo for "The Perfect Storm." Ohhh, I see why your book got published, I thought cynically. You are male-model material, and have written some mediocre novel but you'll shoot straight up the charts on your looks alone.

Naturally, I couldn't help wondering why my own good looks hadn't done something similar for me. Maybe it was because I hadn't actually written a book that publicity could be generated around. Maybe it's the ubiquitous preference of the world for a chiseled, muscular man over a chiseled, muscular woman.

Who knows?

But I lived in Belmont. I could have written "A Murder in Belmont." My family spent time in Gloucester in the summers. I could have written "The Perfect Storm." I could be rich and successful now, writing my own ticket to whatever interests me.

But sexism has kept me down. The world will continue to prefer men to women. I may as well hang up my cleats.

3 Comments:

Blogger beckett said...

Well, there is the fact that Perfect Storm is well-researched, well-written and entertaining.

I didn't know he wrote any novels: I thought he was just a mass-market nonfiction guy.

You, La Misma, are not mass market. Your tastes are refined beyond the macho pursuit of fishing stories and murder. Remember, it is not the job of the artist to be appreciated, but to express oneself.

9:51 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Thank you, beckett! It's good to be reminded about the job of the artist even in the face of the unjustified whining of this post.

And you're right about Perfect Storm. Excellent, well researched book. Murder in Belmont somewhat less satisfying.

10:12 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

This post is satire in case it isn't clear. -- La Misma

9:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home