Mawkish for the Nonce

Friday, June 23, 2006

Do You Believe (in Life After Love)?




You may have been hoping for some news on Cher. If only! I don't know what's happened to Cher -- she's disappeared. She's a haunting example of how our culture's obsession with youth drives older celebrities into virtual seclusion. Last I saw her, she was on a talk show, her face so stiffened from surgery and Botox that she could barely smile and definitely couldn't do her likable, cynical sneer that often preceded a good sardonic joke. She was like a wax dummy of Cher, though she managed to emit a few ironic comments, mostly to do with how it sucked to be over 50.

I feel awful for Cher, because like Meg Ryan, she seems unable to give up on youth. It's like aging is some ghastly curse, not a natural process. I don't dispute these women's attitudes, though. My own feeling is that aging is kind of like a horror movie. Awful things show up that are not going to go away. Unlike almost everything else in life, you aren't overreacting when you perceive signs of age. It's not like a sudden conviction that you have a fatal disease because of a weird feeling in your chest, but the next day the feeling is gone and so is the belief you're dying.

Nope. Those white hairs aren't going anywhere -- in fact they're gonna be joined by a lot more white hairs. And that weird lump in your middle is also not going anywhere. These facts are unbelievable -- you've spent your whole life thinking of yourself as young. For me, it was a habit. Suddenly I'm looking at evidence to the contrary, thinking: What the freak is all that white hair doing on a young person like me's head?

Oh the humanity.

I heard a Christian fellow preaching the doctrine on the subway the other morning. A man asked him something about why dinosaurs had disappeared, and I didn't hear all of his answer but at one point he said calmly, "Man got eaten because of sin. Because he was a sinner."

It was strange hearing these old-fashioned ideas in a city that prides itself on progressive ones. I was struck by the word sin, how simple it is. It seems to reduce life to a battleground of good and bad, which is like a game. Sin and you're out. Don't sin and you win. It's not hard to see the appeal in such a simple life view.

I was also interested in the preacher because I just read Walter Kirn's Mission to America. It's about these two clumsy, poorly dressed missionaries descending from a religious sect that seems like a mixture of Mormonism, Christian Science, Anthroposophy and Shaker, to try to get new blood for their dwindling stock. In other words to impregnate women. They are very serious and pure at first, spouting all this crazy philosophy that rang a bell with me for the years my sister was involved in Waldorf schools, but they're quickly corrupted by junk food and coffee, which they've never tasted since they've been eating a bland, vegetarian diet in accordance with their wacky doctrine.

I'm not doing the book justice. I'm too worried about Cher. Can she move at all anymore? Does she have to be fed through a straw?

11 Comments:

Blogger La Misma said...

In the U.S. we don't grant older women much power. A friend told me that in England they don't have this freaked out attitude to aging we have here. Here we fight it every step of the way (me included). I want to move to England. Kind of.

Joan Didion and Cher could each learn a bit from each other's style, perhaps.

2:57 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

Ah, by leading and closing with cher, you give me the opportunity to reflect not on my own mortality, but instead on Cher's.

As tempting as the siren song of pop-culture may be, I will for the moment avoid it.

Aging is a terrifying thing. Time is a terrifying thing. I know I have, at my, still fairly young age, not quie accepted its irrevocability. I think this is the basis of the feeling I call regret. It is a deep wish to change what is past, coupled with a stubborn refusal to understand to your core, that what is done is done.

Maybe if we could shed nostalgia and regret, we could also shed a bit of this death/aging terror with it.

3:29 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

Attack of the commas!

3:30 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

I feel I live in utter denial of the irrevocability of aging and mortality. I simply bury my head and hope it's not true. I know how stupid that is, but the whole thing is too much for me.

Did you think you used too many commas?

3:35 PM

 
Blogger vacuous said...

When I was 29, I had some age-related depression. I kept thinking that my life was pretty much over. This was basically the result of the way I thought about aging when I was younger. I would think about death, and then say to myself, "well I'm only twelve. I've still got most of my life ahead of me. no need to worry." I settled on the idea that as long as I was in my twenties, everything was okay. No need to worry about it. If I had forced myself earlier on to think about the issue more carefully, I wouldn't have set myself up for a fall at 29. However, now I feel okay, and I don't really have any age anxiety anymore.

4:36 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Argh. I wish I had any serenity about aging. Do you think your Buddhist practice helps you with that, vacuous? I have practically nothing but age anxiety right now. I do feel my life is over, but I also think I have some realistic reasons for thinking so. (Do you think drinking a lot will help me deal with this? Just a thought.)

I feel like George Constanza on Seinfeld who says in one episode: "I've gone from childhood to old age in one fell swoop -- I skipped adultood altogether." That's how it feels sometimes.

I remember being little and thinking when I was 10, I'd be able to handle anything, like tetanus shots which I found very traumatic. Ten seemed incredibly mature to me.

I wonder what the origin of "one fell swoop" is.

10:06 AM

 
Blogger vacuous said...

"One fell swoop" is from Shakespeare, though I don't remember which play. Legend has it that a famous actor in the middle of a gut-wrenching performance same out with "One swell foop" by accident.

I don't know exactly why my age anxiety has taken a back seat. Part of it's the Buddhism, part of it's the other fellowship I talked about, and part of it's probably just that I'm no longer 29. Hopefully there won't be a repeat when I reach 39. Also, I'm lucky that society doesn't have the same ridiculous male archetype as it does the female. I've heard the point made a thousand times: older men can be sexy, but not older women, at least from the hollywod perspective. It would be funny if it didn't have so many tragic consequences (like fatal eating disorders and depression.)

Anyway, La Misma, I'm sure you'll be okay. You won't feel like this forever. I doubt very much that your life is over.

10:52 AM

 
Blogger vacuous said...

That came out a bit paternalistic. Sorry!

10:53 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Oh no, thanks for the attempts to cheer me, though you don't know how dire (old) my situation is.

3:21 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:21 PM

 
Blogger vacuous said...

How mysterious.

4:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home