Mawkish for the Nonce

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Why, lord? Why?



On McSweeney's Internet Tendencies the other night, I started reading a series of short essays about a writer who had recently died in a plane crash. Her name was Amanda Davis, and friends and lovers had written loving portraits of her. The testimonies were well written and poignant, and Amanda Davis sounded like she'd been a really cool person. She also had been a fiction writer, which I am trying to be, and she had gone at life with a tremendous amount of spirit and exuberance, which I never have. That's irrelevant, but it's notable for another reason.

I've noticed that almost any time someone dies before their time or is killed, they turn out to be someone who could have made so much more out of life than most people that the misfortune seems even more outsize and unthinkable. The dead person is often described as not only unusually warm and caring but super-smart, and not just super-smart but full of civic responsibility, yet also able to laugh more joyously than almost anyone, and able to transmit a kind of life-affirming zest to friends and family that is not just irreplaceable but well-nigh unique in one person's lifetime, to have in a friend. Amanda Davis seems to have been that kind of person -- the essays praising her infectious laugh, warm understanding, helpfulness, good listening skills, quirky but joyous fashion sense, passion for justice, capacity for affection and other truly wonderful traits just seemed to go on forever.

I read them feeling a mild, vicarious sadness about her early death, but also wondering why no one who dies young or gets killed is ever described as a downcast, joyless sadsack who seemed pretty much ready to go anyway. Look at Laci Peterson -- about the happiest young mother-to-be you've ever seen. There must be thousands of young women, living with a philandering future murderer like Scott Peterson, who wouldn't have quite such a joyous glint to their smile. But not Laci. She truly did seem to have the life-loving qualities her grief-stricken family attributed to her. And this is so often true it's uncanny. "She was such a good person," people say over and over about the deceased. "She loved life so much."

Just from the law of averages, isn't it strange that no one ever says, "She didn't seem to care if she lived or died. So in a weird way -- I'm sure she didn't actively want to die? But I'm not sure it would have mattered that much to her."

4 Comments:

Blogger La Misma said...

Does this post seem mean? Do I seem not to feel enough for Amanda Davis? Or does my central observation not resonate with the shimmering delicacy and intelligence I thought it did?

No, La Misma. It is wonderfully expressed and so true! Good for you! Good for you!

(applause)

(sigh)

12:32 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

Well, La M., it is true that people always praise the dead, but it would be incredibly sour grapes to speak ill of the dead (unless they are public figures, or you really really really hate them...and even then, they're dead, so go ahead and cry those crocodile tears).

It's for the living that the whole charade is enacted anyway. The bereaved who knew the person as special, the family, which needs something to hold onto. How much worse, when your son dies young, to hear someone say, well, he was kind of mediocre and didn't seem to care about anything. So even if the person was a heroine addict and a criminal, you talk of how much they loved their momma, or their lust for life, etc.

Then, on your anonymous blog, or in your journal, you write of how overblown the praise has been. Or that you wonder how people will be able to say comparable things about you when the shoe drops.

Also, the post does not seem mean.

3:29 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Sakes alive, I actually hadn't thought of this. I like to pride myself on reasonable acuity but it seems I'm always needing to have some rather obvious human conventions pointed out to me.

I blame my parents.

8:26 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Oh, and thank you for saying the post wasn't mean. I'm also never sure what's mean and what's not. I blame my parents for that too. They let me verbally abuse them until I didn't know right from wrong.

But they didn't seem to love the inner me.

How could they, when I was a spitting, snarling troglodyte?

Family life. Good times.

8:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home