Mawkish for the Nonce

Thursday, January 26, 2006

If It Was Good Enough for Gide



I lack vision. I've known this for a while. It's hard for me to see ahead even a few days, much less that fabled 'five year plan' (as if!). This has caused me a lot of problems. When I was a teacher, it was like pulling teeth trying to create a syllabus. I was terrible at it. All my classes screeched to a stop half-way through like a car reaching the edge of a cliff.

Now I'm writing a novel, and again I'm stumped by the process of planning. I have characters, I have some conflict, I have an eventual denouement in mind but I have no idea how to get there. So far, my characters just talk a lot. They call each other on the phone and talk, or they go to one of their apartments and talk. Okay, two of them have sex at one point, but that's it for action so far.

Well, maybe that should be it -- more talk, and more sex. After all, Gide did it. But all that talk eliminates the fun tradition of 'action reveals character.' That's one of the great pleasures of narrative -- following what a character does and hypothesizing about what it means. The epitome of this 'pure action' approach is one of those New Yorker stories where you follow some affectless characters around Florida or the midwest as they go in and out of parking lots, supermarkets and double-wide trailers, and you never know what the point is but it's fun to guess. Sometimes I read the story over and over, combing it like a detective for clues. (Hey, maybe it means THIS!) But you never know.

It's common in art-lit circles to sneer at plot, but I appreciate a good plot, so I don't want to deprive my readers of one. I love those books where a sensitive, idealistic heroine marries the wrong man (Middlemarch) and her life becomes a mockery of what she thought it would be (Portrait of a Lady). Maybe I should just grab that plot! I have thought of stealing from George Eliot but it seems to me it would be so obvious as to discredit me. Anyway, I had a vague idea for a plot in mind. The problem is it remains vague. It's like a shimmering castle on a distant hill that disappears if you look at it directly. It involves treason ... and Hegel ... and the fractured American left.

Oh God! That doesn't sound like very much fun. I'd better get someone married to someone awful, fast.

Meanwhile, my characters remain stuck at the equivalent of T.S. Eliot's coffee-spoon party, talking their fool heads off and never doing anything.

6 Comments:

Blogger beckett said...

This is my favorite entry of yours yet. It so deftly portrays your struggle to fashion the novel. I feel for you. And I'm with you as far as plot goes. Nothing beats a good story.

It seems to me you'll have to wrestle with a plot. Hey, it's hard for you or I to decide what to do, why should it be any easier for your characters?

12:58 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

Plus, I dunno who Gide is.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Thank you for not suggesting plot ideas, because you're right, I do have to figure it out myself. If you came up with something brilliant I'd be like, oh crap, that's a better idea than any of mine. And if I used it I'd feel like it wasn't my novel.

It's funny how this struggle mirrors my own tendency toward inaction, though. Is it some kind of deficit disorder yet to be named?

Oh, and Andre Gide wrote The Immoralists, a cracking good read, and The Counterfeiters, and other books about smart, indolent young Frenchmen.

2:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took a second look at the picture and realized it was of a woman at a typewriter. For some reason, I thought it was a woman at a microscope. Microscope, typewriter, perhaps the microscope fits better your struggle with plot.

1:57 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Yeah, it does kind of look like a microscope. But I think that's a man in the picture. I thought it was a woman too. It looks like Katherine Hepburn playing Madame Curie. But on closer inspection... Anyway, I take your point about the microscope. One squints and scrutinizes -- it's all very tortuous.

Actually I had a kind of breakthrough today wherein it occurred to me if you develop the characters in more detail, the plot would unfold more naturally. Can I put it into practice? Ah, practice! That sticky wicket.

3:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

with all this virtual jaw waggin goin on its no wonder ya got so much to complain about w/ da novel

10:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home