Mawkish for the Nonce

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Today I Learned



...that "oestrus" means menstruation for chimps.

I'm reading Great Apes by Will Self. It's hysterically funny. It's a clever fantasy where all the upmarket London characters become chimps overnight, which initially I thought was a terrible idea and I'd never last through it, but turns out to be hilarious.

That said, it's kind of slow going because Self has reproduced the chimps' dialogue with sound effects like "euch euch" and "nnnuhh" throughout their speech. These are realistic approximations of chimp noises but they slow the dialogue down like mad.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know! It really bugged me when Samsa kept making those insecty noises, too.

My takeaway? Beware letting your gimmicks get outta hand.

7:43 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

I just realized, I always imagine you writing your posts sitting at your desk at FCB. You haven't worked there in over two years, I think.

In the scrabulous game that was destroyed when scrabulous was destroyed, I had two, count em two bingos.

5:24 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

I wasn't sorry to lose that Scrabulous game, but losing Scrabulous -- doesn't that suck?

7:17 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

beckett, how are you???

won't you update?

did you take that job?

7:32 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

BTW, I assume that's a picture of Will Self. He looks insufferably smug.

6:21 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

What can you do with that face, though?

I think he looks simian, actually.

8:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home