Mawkish for the Nonce

Friday, March 23, 2007

Don't Get Me Wrong




Group,

I don't want you to think I've never thought about the questions raised in the post below, touching on foreign policy and our involvement in Iraq.

I can see why it would be upsetting if either of you thought I'd never thought about it till my friend mentioned it the other night. I don't want you to think you're being led through the wilderness by a complete dope.

Because that's how I see this blog. Leading people through the wilderness. "What's going on??" people wonder, distractedly eating corner store pound cake to stanch their fears. Then they turn to Titular Head for some perspective. Granted, the blog often asks as many questions as it answers. But that doesn't mean I don't have the answers. I merely wish to empower my readers to answer questions for themselves, the way a good wilderness leader should.

Anyway, of course I've thought about whether we should have gone into Iraq. I've thought and thought. It seems not. But some pretty intelligent people (David Remnick) say we should have. Some other intelligent people (Andrea Cornacchio) say it's a good thing Saddam (why do we always call him by his first name?) was removed. These people follow the news more closely than me. Though I think hard, I seldom seek out hard facts to sort the situation out for good.

I was raised by knee-jerk liberals. I actually believed Republicans were barely human till I was about 28 and I met a conservative person. Sadly, I fell madly in love with him. He was human, it turned out, but his mildly conservative values drove me away after a rhapsodic year or so.

I feel like I sound like Anne LaMott. What's up with that?

In other news, the lens from my glasses fell out this morning and fell straight down the drain of my bathroom sink. In a soundless second it was gone. It didn't even hit the sides. It couldn't have gone down more cleanly if I'd aimed it.

Well, I was horrified. It's gone, and I'll have to get new glasses in a day, and they cost $100s and $100s of dollars.

A co-worker helpfully said maybe I could get it out with a chopstick and chewing gum.

That's what's good about working!

3 Comments:

Blogger vacuous said...

I thought about posting all my reasons for having been against the war from the start, and then I revised it to a pithy summary of the strongest reasons, and then I decided that I was just venting, so I didn't post any reasons at all. :)

1:00 PM

 
Blogger David Dodd Lee said...

This post is fucking hilarious,
the war followed by the glasses mishap. It says it all. HA! Sorry, though, just the same, you lost that lens. I'm surprised you didn't lose it while fucking the mountain, which I'm assuming you followed through on.

1:33 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Good to hear from you again, vacuous.

David: Mountains, morains, terminal morains -- the whole landform community. It's like Looking for Mr. Goodbar but with landforms.

9:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home