Mawkish for the Nonce

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Everybody Is Ignoring Me



Just kidding! Just trying to get Anonymous's goat. S/he often seems to think I overreact to things. I dislike being told I overreact even more than I dislike being confronted by giant poisonous snakes spitting venom at the gates of HELLl!!!!

Anyway. The theme of this post is wasting time. The image to the left comes up under "Wasting Time" in Google Images Search. I could have used a clock dumped into a glass of water but I figured, why not some eye candy.

Last night I watched 20/20 about a kid so damaged by a religious cult that had encouraged sex between adults and kids that he had made a suicide video tape and was planning to find and kill his mother.

I couldn't tear myself away!

Midway through, though, I began to feel damaged and sick myself. My stomach got a knot of anxiety. The images of the children looking happy in sexual positions with the adults were totally gross.

My attitude changed from "Why ... how ... how could they ... why is there such ignorance and evil in the world... ?" to "I'm implicated because I'm watching, I'm witnessing this."

Where's the pleasure in that?

Law and Order was a really good episode about an Ann Coulter clone. I wanted to watch it but I was too fascinated by the sickness on display at 20/20.

TV is so hopelessly alluring that I'm worried about my addiction to it.

I hardly ever do anything else anymore! I used to read, play guitar, go for walks.

Now it's TV, 24/7.

That sucks -- it's not as bad as being systematically abused by a group of revolting religious cult people but it sucks in its own way. I have to try and create something, not just ingest.

To that end, I finally bought a camcorder this week. I'm going to start making short movies. If I can get past the million technical challenges it will pose.

Help me, Jesus!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home