Mawkish for the Nonce

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Say Hello to My Little Friend




There are more mice than I thought. There are more mice than it's possible to understand. I just saw a dead one in the bathroom, caught by a trap, as the super said it would be though I didn't think they ever went in the bathroom.

They go everywhere, it now seems.

But they mostly live in my stove, and I saw one run down through the space of a gas burner the other day. I put a new trap up by the stove and added new peanut butter -- I thought my super had forgotten to put some on, in his inept way. Au contraire. When I saw the new peanut butter lying beside the trap, I realized with a creeping horror that the mice are now removing the peanut butter without getting snapped by the trap (two were killed that way).

I took that dab of peanut butter and put it back on the trap, smooshing it down so it couldn't be easily taken off. They got it off anyway! Yesterday I put a new dab on right near the snapping mechanism. "Take that, you fucking cunts," I said, my concern for them gone. This morning, the new dab had been neatly removed. They are winning this battle. Mice are outsmarting me.

Plus peanut butter is not cheap, and this is the good health food kind.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we first moved into our house we had a couple of mice. In fact there is a puddle of mice urine in on a tarp in our basement that proves it. We bought a trap where the mice crawl in to get the food, and then the trap sweeps them into a detention chamber. When we first put it down, the mice were able to grab the piece of bread we put inside without getting caught, but after I blocked one of the two entrances to the trap, the mice were forced to crawl inside, and we got them both. Unfortunately for one of them, I believe my neighbor's cat got him.

7:59 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

That's much more humane, catching them and letting them go. I used one of those little-house traps when I lived in Red Hook, an area of New York simply ridden with vermin (rats mostly). But as far as I could tell, the mouse never went near it. Not even to get the cheese.

I've heard about these electric devices that create a pulse? ray? something -- in the air that makes the mice want to leave. I'm going to look into getting that, but I have a fearful image of the mice leaving in a big procession that I witness. Mostly, I'm using the time-honored La Misma-patented approach of pretending it isnt' happening and hoping it will go away.

6:10 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can reveal that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is even now a definitely as you did in the downgrade delivery of this solicitation www.google.com/ie?as_q=hcgmail.com ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you functioning the black methods of inspiriting of the resource. I have a week and do necheg

8:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.answerbag.com/profile/1238705]Xilisoft Video Convertor 3.1.37[/url] [url=http://www.adulthostedblogs.com/?u=videoseangelia2]Deset Pocket Video Maker -- Symbian Edition[/url]
Windows Media Player 12 2008 Wit.Cobber Super Video Converter 5.2
http://blog.bakililar.az/videoseangelle5/ Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0
[url=http://www.solonoilista.altervista.org/bloghoster/?u=videosealpha4]Womble MPEG Video Wizard 12.2007[/url] [url=http://www.pinskerdream.com/bloghoster/?u=videosealwyn4]4Videosoft Mobile Video Converter[/url]
Nidesoft Video Converter 2.0.50 ImToo 3GP Video Converter 3.1.8.082
http://www.blogportalen.no/blog/?u=videoseannie2 DVD Cloner
iLead DVD to PSP Converter
my icq:858499940385

9:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home