Mawkish for the Nonce

Friday, March 03, 2006

Oy



This is me, except less male, for the last five days. I have a cold that's socked in like bad weather. I lost my voice and rasped inaudibly at people for two days. I drank gallons of tea and juice and TheraFlu and still coughed and rasped.

Anyway, I had the best time. It was four of the nicest days of my life. I lay on my couch reading. Sometimes I walked around my apartment. When I wanted to, I drank grapefruit juice. When I felt like it, I took naps.

And I worked on my novel!! I had all this time!!

Time is the biggest gift. David Berman sings, "Time is a game only children play well." It's so true.

"Time is a jet plane," let's not forget that one. True too.

I had enough time to work steadily on my novel and realize that what I most need is more time.

"Nothing but time" -- Cat Power.

If only.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked at the picture and immediately thought it was Pete Doherty (of Babyshambles and Kate Moss).. sorry. You are not a wasted crackhead who has been arrested three times in the last month for drug possession. The picture does not really fit the description of your past few days. You need someone looking much more blissed out...perhaps another form of the forlorn angel of many posts back would be more appropriate....

5:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello? is this it, am I here? in that stream of conciousness, self indulgent, saopbox for the timid blogsphere I've heard about? (its ok, most of us don't have the guts to stand up on a real one) Is my name anonymous enough? I guess I'm supposed to, but I can't comment on your blog cause I already forgot what it said. Not that it was that forgettable, but since I just arrived I went back & looked at a bunch and am now confused. I could go back to check but then I would lose what I've already written, have to start over, might even forget again... Looks like fun, though. I probably won't return - my computer time is limited, I'm kept on a tight leash. Thanks for indulging me, though. blog-on

10:57 AM

 
Blogger beckett said...

I hate to be naysayer (but I'd rather be that than a nattering nabob), but isn't "I just need more time" a little fairy tale we tell ourselves? I guess the question reall is: if you had, say, 2 months off, would you work steadily on your novel. Or would the novelty of the free time wear off and the free time itself become a burden? Another reason to chastise yourself for not writing often enough.

Nay. Nay, I say.

Who am I kidding? Two months off would probably be a great experience no matter what.

2:22 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

Oh, and I think you should try and squeeze micturition and manducation into your hobbies.

2:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home