Mawkish for the Nonce

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Too Much Poetry?



Sorry, dear reader. ("Reader" is accurate.)

I haven't forgotten the lighter side of life. It distantly beckons, from the other side of a brackish... Never mind. Yes, I'm still trying to be a comedy writer, when I can stop sobbing.

I love writing comedy! It bounces me upward, and it thrills me because it's within reach, unlike fiction which is so slippery and elusive, and you have one good writing day every two months. With comedy, you can actually have two good writing days in one week. Even if you only write four times. Yes, the success average is far, far better.

I'm still too gloomy in general, though. So here's a picture of Jerri Blank to remind me of the sublime. Also to remind me of Amy Sedaris and her lighthearted way of getting through life -- baking cupcakes, decorating her apartment with insane-looking stuffed squirrels, and like that. Oh for a muse of fire! No -- oh for a fun, scampish approach to life, like hers.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Gardner says to write without self-editing and I try to do this every day. Just stream it out and therein find the occassioanl pearl. Writing kind of stinks -- creating anything out of whole cloth is damn harder than the non-creative can imagine.

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and Anonymous is pistolgal

3:34 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Hi p'gal,
Nice to hear from you. That's good advice about freewriting, as I call it. I used to start every writing day with that when I was working on my novel. it was very helpful and I did end up using some of what I wrote. Oh that John Gardner, he had the secret to so much.

5:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home