Mawkish for the Nonce

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Today I Learned

Today I learned the opening to Henry James's The Golden Bowl is as unprepossessing as rumored. It has just enough narrative feints to make you think, 'Oh, who cares?' But a co-worker told me it was worth it if you could make it past page 100.

Fat chance.

Today I also learned just how unbearable and snotty younger people can be -- and I try not to condemn them because I was super-unbearable for ages as a young person -- but these kids were especially heinous! In my office, they were discussing a mutual friend who "likes really cheesy people, like the kind of people who are singer-songwriters and play at the Living Room - you know, I just hang out with my own type of people, in my intellectual-snob kind of way -- she hangs out with people I would never, ever hang out with." I sat there in shock, having met principally this kind of person in my early years in New York and having prized them as sensitive individuals who could also write a decent pop song.

I couldn't believe "singer-songwriters" was a whole category of lame-type people!

Plus, part of my sense of outrage as I sat there, was, that I actually consider the Living Room to be a really good gig! I've never played there, for instance. I never got that high. I frickin played at smaller places and I would consider it a goddamn honor to play at the Living Room!

But I also couldn't believe the sneering, confident tone these people expressed their opinions in -- they set their ideas forth as if no one had ever said "how stupid! How stuck up! You guys are assholes!" ever once! In all their lives! To them!

I also realized how down-at-heel my entire life had been, full of nothing but humble people who thought playing at the Living Room was kind of a big deal.

I value people who would never say anything like what these kids said - and I feel sorry for them because I'm sure they'll grow up and realize how retarded and offensive it was, and they'll cringe and moan in shame, like I've done over my moments of arrogance.

But it won't ever be as bad for them because someone gave them license to think they're better than other people. Which I think sucks.

5 Comments:

Blogger David Dodd Lee said...

ahh, your posts are so great . . .
are you working on any future robot
secretary shorts?

6:22 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

No -- to my shame. One of my actors (Rob, the nerdy copywriter) quit, leaving me with just the two woman characters. I've been trying to think of stories for just them but nothing good has occurred to me. It's not a good excuse, but another one is, I've been working on this play, a parody of Sex and the City, and that's taken most of my free time.

But really, I feel I could have gotten another Robot Secretary episode into the can and I don't know why I haven't!

One thing's for sure -- I miss editing. Man, I would love to edit some film. Mine, specifically.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

p.s. Thanks for your comment! It made me feel terrific.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

Do you really think those people will one day be ashamed of their behavior? Aren't the chances just as good that they will stay always as now? Isn't that what our culture embraces? Youth, with all its meanness, insecurity, and one-upsmanship uber alles. Dennis Hopper keeps telling the 60-year olds that they don't ever have to grow up; they can continue to be as selfish as the day they were spoiled.

I guess this is all to say: You know what's worse than an insufferably status-conscious 21-year old? An insufferably status-conscious 50-year old.

1:01 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

You're probably right. For one thing these people weren't all that young. Their attitudes have probably hardened into deep veins in their souls. I don't know why I wrote that Pollyanna-ish line about how they would one day cringe over their snobbishness.

You're extremely precocious, however -- it did take me a while to become truly sensitive to other people.

4:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home