Mawkish for the Nonce

Friday, February 15, 2008

Yesterday I Learned




... that when a book is said to be unfinished, it doesn't stop mid-word (which I always pictured) but suddenly there isn't another chapter, and instead the editor writes, "Here Fitzgerald seemed to plan to have Monroe Stahr go through more tension over the screenwriters' union." Thud. It's very unpleasant because it seems the writer never actually thought the book through to the end.

I did enjoy it though. The Last Tycoon. Very smart, and perfectly timely about the nature of Hollywood and the instability of writers. At one point a character says that writers can't handle authority, and they are like children. Nailed it, I thought. If only the rest of the world understood that, and less was expected of us.

2 Comments:

Blogger beckett said...

I read that back in HS. I remember really liking it; but it was sort of heartbreaking to have those gaps filled in only by the editor's notes.

3:07 PM

 
Blogger beckett said...

Sweet, you got spammed!

9:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home