Mawkish for the Nonce

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Nueva Entrada



There are about 12 of these giant Olmec heads at the Museo Antropologica here. They're unbelievably old, about 1500 BC. They have a great aura. I went to the museum this morning and saw the heads and also a lot of other pre-Columbian figures. They figures are all about heads and eyes and lips -- these people were fascinated with faces, and maybe, it follows, with individuals? I liked the emphasis, anyway.

I got the audio tour because all the signs were in Spanish. The audio commentary was in very Spanish-accented English. I didn't understand a lot of it, the same as I wouldn't have followed the Spanish. But I was happy there, staring at larval stone faces, observing their geometrically exact loincloths, learning that closed eyes and an open mouth on a woman figure meant she had died in childbirth wondering why they made their hatchet heads so smooth and shiny, like jewelry.

The giftshop was also a highlight.

5 Comments:

Blogger vacuous said...

Just dropping in to say hi. Hope everything's well with you.

5:26 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Thanks for esking. I'm ok.

I'm bummed that almost no one ever writes on my blog. Where's beckett? Why doesn't he answer my emails or invitations to Scrabble?

Do you think he's mad because I wrote "snark" a while ago?

3:57 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

It's all very well to go to law school but not if it means you can never play Scrabble.

3:57 PM

 
Blogger vacuous said...

I don't know what's up with Beckett. He recently played a few moves against me in chess on Facebook, but no actual conversation. Hmm.

9:53 AM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

I guess L2 is even harder than L1.

I hope he's ok.

5:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home