Mawkish for the Nonce

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Automatic Toilets: Yes or No?



Where I'm working now they have automatic toilets. I'm always trying to figure out why these exist. Some of them are a terrible waste of water. The ones that flush when you walk into the stall, because they're programmed to flush when they sense an upright human, and then flush again and sometimes twice while you're putting your clothes back together.

Who decided we needed these? Were so many people not flushing, that it justifies the wasted water?

The creepiest thing is if they don't sense you, even after you're finished and you've stood up and your clothes are all back together. You wave an arm, going like, 'Hey, I'm done.' But it just sits there. It's eerie -- you aren't registering. The toilet can't sense you. Do you exist? Are you just a shade? Are you even human?

You can flush them yourself, with a finger that's a bit shaky from not being read as human. So they aren't completely insane but I think they are pretty insane.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sky Jack Morgan said...

At UC Berkeley, the students, who you would think would know how to flush a toilet by now, never flush. It is entirely annoying because all of the restrooms stink.

In Japan, so many of their toilets are automated and designed to minimize splashing that their restrooms are always clean. They are crazy about water and have figured out how to use less of it while managing to include a robotic arm that washes your bum for you before you get up.

There are even some that play recorded water sounds to get you in the mood.

The American ones that treat us like vampires are pitiful. They make me sad.

1:31 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

That Japan stuff is crazy. They really wash your bum? (Are you Canadian? We said 'bum' up there. Never 'ass.')

The American ones are impersonal and dysfunctional. Keeps up the general alienation, I think.

10:46 PM

 
Blogger La Misma said...

Welcome, Louise, and trainwreck union. I'm psyched to have new readers, esp. ones with input about automatic toilets.

Neither of my other readers seems to ca-- aw, I guess i've driven that joke into the ground.

1:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think they "wash" you with an actual robot arm -- I think they bidet you at high speeds and then fan your butt dry. seems like a task best left up to the individual. but what do I know -- my toilet bowl hardly knows I exist.

6:18 AM

 
Blogger Sky Jack Morgan said...

Yeah, it's more of bidet action, but it is a robot arm, that seems to know where to aim.

I love Japanese toilets. If I built a house, I would import one. They also have heated seats. That is one of the best ideas I have ever heard.

Also, you can wash your hands with the water going into the tank. Amazing.

9:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home